Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Terminal Illness

A few weeks ago as I was preparing a sermon, God brought to mind the fact that I have a "terminal illness." Those words usually bring to mind something like cancer, ALS, Aides, or some other disease for which there is no cure yet. I have none of those. My terminal illness (as is yours), is being human. The truth is we're all dying. Unless the Lord returns, we're not getting out of this life alive. It may be soon, or it may be many years in the future, but eventually our terminal illness catches up with us.
I took my 82 year old mom to the doctor last week, and we were talking about family history. She reminded me that my grandfather, her dad, died when he was 45, an age I am rapidly approaching. Later, I was processing this information and kind of wondering where I was going to fall in the "life/death timeline" (83 like mom, 45 like grandfather, or maybe 96 like grandmother), and again the Lord spoke: how much time I have isn't nearly as imp0rtant as what I do with the time I have.
More thinking... am I doing with my life what I am suppose to be doing? Am I doing all that I could be doing for the Lord? I'm taking the next few days off to spend some time seeking the Lord and His will. I have a terminal illness and I want to make sure I'm using all the time I have left to glorify God by bearing much fruit for Him!

1 comment:

Patty said...

Great words!! Praying for you during this time!