Thursday, March 20, 2008

Maundy Thursday

Growing up in the Baptist church that I did, I never heard about Maundy Thursday. Not until I was in college did I become aware that Christians all over the world commemorate the last meal Jesus had with His disciples. Maundy is from the Latin word for mandate or commandment. It is a reference to what Jesus said to His disciples during the meal - "But I am giving you a new command. You must love each other, just as I have loved you. " (John 13:34)

Jesus, the master teacher that He was, gave an old commandment new life. In the OT book of Leviticus the Lord said, "Forget about the wrong things people do to you, and do not try to get even. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. I am the Lord." (19:18, NCV) Though this was part of the law code of the Jewish people, love is a hard thing to legislate. What it became in practice was "Love those neighbors who are like yourself." In other words, love those who are like you, who see things like you do, who you can love as much as you love yourself. It was not what God intended.

Jesus updates the commandment to "You must love each other as I have loved you." How did Jesus love? By giving Himself for those who didn't love Him; by laying down life for sinners, so that they could become saints. Real love always seeks to lift up the object of its affection. Jesus gives further instruction by saying, "If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples." (John 13:35, NLT) As we love others like Jesus loved us, others know we belong to Him. Do you think that pleases Jesus? I think so too.

No comments: