Sunday, October 5, 2008

"LOSING" A FRIEND?

Not really. This passed Thursday, a friend of mine passed away. Though he was quite a bit older than me, we had a wonderful relationship. When I came as pastor of Magna View I started visiting Malcolm and his wife Ruby. They were elderly and no longer able to attend church, but I spent many hours visiting with them in their home. Malcolm loved to talk and tell stories. He talked about his time in the military, his days as a coal miner, the trips he and Ruby had taken, fishing, and Tennessee football. He and Ruby had been season ticket holders for a number of years and Malcolm loved Tennessee football. I knew Malcolm's time on earth was short when I visited a couple of weeks ago and asked him what he thought of the TN-UCLA game and he said he had been too tired to watch it.
We often describe someone's death as a "loss," and I guess in some way it is. But for me it is more of a "passing" than a "losing." Someone once told me "you can't lose something if you know where it is." I know where Malcolm is - he's in the presence of his Lord. He isn't lost, he's just passed on to a knew reality of life. I'll see him again someday. That is the hope (assurance) I have in Christ.

No comments: